Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ignored


Dear Ms. LaPooch,

When I go shopping, the salesperson always takes care of me last even if I was there first.  I think it is because I look young.  Is it rude to say something?

-  Ignored


Dear Ignored,

It doesn’t matter what age you are – or, in my case, how low to the ground you are – no one likes to be ignored.  I definitely do not like to be ignored.  My guardians, Mary and Jim, though loving and thoughtful, are sometimes busy with their own lives and forget to take me on walks.  Sometimes others do not even know they are bypassing you.  You have every right to speak up. I stand right by the door, whining only rarely if absolutely necessary. You could try whining, too, I suppose.

The most important part of speaking up, whining, or barking is the way you do it.  You must walk the doggy tightrope and be very firm and respectful at the same time.  Remember that we train others how to treat us by the way we treat them.  You could say this, “Excuse me, I think I am next in line.  I’d like to purchase these doggy biscuits.”  Remember, a loud and contemptuous bark will only suggest to others that they ought to do the same to you.

If you find that this happens repeatedly at the same store, shop somewhere else and let the manager know in a polite note.  You – and anyone who is courteous – deserve better treatment.
Love and Licks,



Have a question?  Bark up at zzlapooch@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment